Premier League Recap

Week 12 gave us 19 goals, 32 yellows, seven of which came at Stamford Bridge and had Brighton’s Dale Stephens seeing red.


Cardiff v Brighton

Cardiff City v Brighton & Hove Albion


The visitors had Dale Stephens sent off for a lunge at Greg Cunningham after 34 minutes. As if Brighton boss Chris Hughton wasn’t enraged enough over that, he later told media he was “angry”over an offside claim in the build-up to Sol Bamba‘s late winner, which earned the hosts their second win of the season.

Brighton took the lead via Lewis Dunk‘s header before Cardiff’s Callum Paterson‘s equalizer. Then came Stephens‘ red card.

After some superb defending from the away team, the Seagulls looked like they would escape with a point, but the Blue Birds hit the woodwork twice in the build-up to Bamba‘s eventual 90th minute winner.

Having won three in succession in October, Brighton surrendered a winning position for the first time this season and now have two consecutive defeats, losing to Everton last Saturday.

Cardiff are still in the relegation zone but victory sees them climb a place to 18th. Brighton remain 12th on 14pts, six above the relegation zone and 18 behind leaders Man City.


Up Next:

Everton v Cardiff – Saturday November 24th (10am)

Brighton v Leicester – Saturday November 24th (10am)



Huddersfield v WH

Huddersfield Town v West Ham United


Huddersfield manager David Wagner felt unlucky after the visitor’s Felipe Anderson scored a late equalizer to prevent the Terries from claiming their second victory in a little under a week.

With some motivation left over from Monday’s win against Fulham, the home side started brightly. Alex Pritchard opened the scoring with just their second goal at home this season, their first by a Huddersfield player, Fulham’s Fosu-Mensah scored an own goal on Monday night. They then hit the woodwork twice and Wagner believed they should have had a penalty before half time.

The visitors had the better half and although Anderson put the Hammers ahead they couldn’t follow up last week’s victory over Burnley with another. They remain 13th, whilst Huddersfield are second from bottom after Cardiff beat Brighton.

The bad news for the Terriers, they will now be without Chris Lowe for several weeks as the German was carried off after an injury late in the first half. Wagner told media he looks to have a shoulder ligament injury, they’ll have to assess whether he’ll need surgery, but he’ll definitely miss a few weeks.


Up Next:

Wolves v Huddersfield – Sunday November 25th (11am)

West Ham v Man City – Saturday November 24th (10am)


Leicester v Burnley

Leicester City v Burnley


The matchup saw Leicester’s emotional return to the King Power Stadium for the first time since the death of owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha in a helicopter crash outside the stadium two weeks ago.

Both side’s players and fans delivered a fitting tribute to the man. Supporters, led by team members, steered a tribute march from the city center to the stadium, dubbed the “5,000 to 1” march, named after their odds of lifting the trophy at the start of their title-winning 2015/16 season. The pitch was also framed by hundreds of Leicester City shirts, flags and banners. There was then a two-minute silence before kick off, with Vichai’s son in attendance to see the wreaths laid for both his father and for Remembrance Sunday.

Claudio Ranieri, the manager who brought the title to Leicester was also in attendance and received a rapturous reception, along with his predecessor Nigel Pearson and successor Craig Shakespeare.

It was no surprise that the home side started brightly but soon faded after the two weeks they’ve just had, which included the 12,000 mile round trip to pay their respects at his funeral in Bangkok.

They had the better first half, with Jamie Vardy seeing his shot cleared off the line by Matt LowtonRachid Ghezzal then headed against the bar before Joe Hart made a great save at the feet of Demarai Gray.

Burnley grew into the game and will be satisfied with the point, although they’ll be thinking Chris Wood should have done a lot better than lifting his second half chance over the top of the goal.

There were tears after the game as the Foxes stayed on the pitch to be joined by Vichai’s son, Aiyawatt, as well as Ranieri, Pearson and Shakespeare and two other vital people in their landmark title-winning campaign – former director of football Steve Walsh and former defender Robert Huth. Former Argentina midfielder Esteban Cambiasso was also paying tribute.


Up Next:

Brighton v Leicester – Saturday November 24th (10am)

Burnley v Newcastle – Monday November 26th (3pm)


Newcastle v B'mouth

Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth


Salomon Rondon hit home twice as Newcastle recored consecutive Premier League victories for the first time since April.

The Venezuelan put the home side ahead within seven minutes following some great work by DeAndre Yedlin, who darted in behind the visiting defense to pick him out. The 29-year-old then cushioned his side’s advantage as half time approached. He dropped deep to collect the ball before charging in to the penalty area to connect with Kenedy‘s cross for a headed goal.

The first half saw a long delay as Adam Smith received treatment for an injury sustained whilst preparing for a free kick, it was deep into the resulting stoppage time that the visitors found a way back into the game, record signing Jefferson Lerma nodded home a Ryan Fraser cross.

Despite the result, Cherries goalkeeper Asmir Begovic produced a string of fine saves to keep his side in it, whilst Jordan Ibe missed a great opportunity for the visitors, who fell to consecutive league defeats.

After their worst top-flight start for 120 years, the Magpies recorded their second Premier League victory of the season, lifting them into 14th, whilst Bournemouth sit 6th, four points behind Arsenal and level with 7th and 8th placed Watford and Manchester United.


Up Next:

Burnley v Newcastle – Monday November 26th (3pm)

Bournemouth v Arsenal – Sunday November 25th (8:30am)



S'hampton v Watford

Southampton v Watford


Southampton manager Mark Hughes blamed the draw on a “bad mistake” from referee Simon Hooper, who disallowed Charlie Austin‘s second half goal. Hooper had mistakingly believed the shot had gone in off team-mate Maya Yoshida, who was in an offside position. Had the goal stood the home side would have had a two goal cushion, but as it stands they are still waiting for their first home win of the season.

Meanwhile the draw sees Watford climb to seventh, level on points with, but beating Man United on goal difference. The equalizer came courtesy of Jose Holebas‘ deflected shot, with the ball going in off defender Cedric Soares late on, luckily for both players it was deemed to have already been going in so the Watford man got the credit.

The South Coast side’s failure to hold on to their lead leaves them level on points with 18th placed Cardiff and 16th placed Crystal Palace, just above the relegation zone. It also ensured the unwanted record of failing to win any of their first six home games of a season for the first time in their 132 year history.


Up Next:

Fulham v Southampton – Saturday November 24th (10am)

Watford v Liverpool – Saturday November 24th (10am)


Palace v Spurs

Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur


Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino praised “fantastic” defender Juan Foyth after he scored the winner, one week after conceding two penalties against Wolves, in his league debut.

The 20-year-old Argentine headed in from close range after his lightning reflexes saw him get to the rebound of Harry Kane‘s partially blocked shot before anyone else.

Palace, who have now failed to win in seven games in all competitions, were left fuming at James Tomkins‘s failure to hit the target with a free header when the game was still goalless, that’s as close as they would get to scoring, mostly due to Spurs goalie Hugo Lloris standing strong.

The result leaves the Eagles 16th, a place above the relegation zone on goal difference, while Spurs sit 4th, three points ahead of rivals Arsenal and five behind leaders City.


Up Next:

Man United v Palace – Saturday November 24th (10am)

Spurs v Chelsea – Saturday November 24th (12:30pm)


L'pool v Fulham

Liverpool v Fulham


This game was not without controversy, Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic believes referee Paul Tierney showed “disrespect” this his side after disallowing Aleksandar Mitrovic‘s header, which then allowed Mo Salah to score just 14 seconds later for the Reds.

Replays of the ‘goal’ showed the decision was a borderline call, with Liverpool defender Andrew Robertson appearing to be in line with the Serbian forward, hence playing him onside, rather than off as the call was.

Salah‘s goal came after goalkeeper Alisson initiated a rapid counter-attack, with the Egyptian running unopposed from the halfway line to open the scoring.

Xherdan Shaqiri gave the home side a cushion, with a second half goal that confirmed victory for the Reds, who equalled their best start to a top-flight season, which came in the 2002/03 season.

Liverpool enjoyed a brief moment on top of the table, but after Man City’s derby win they now sit second, two points behind the Sky Blues.


Up Next:

Watford v Liverpool – Saturday November 24th (10am)

Fulham v Southampton – Saturday November 24th (10am)


Chelsea v Everton

Chelsea v Everton


Chelsea were held to a scrappy goalless draw at home by Everton.

The Blues had the better chances but missed the opportunity to briefly return to the top of the Premier League. The result, however, does mean that Chelsea have remained unbeaten in their opening 12 top-flight games for just the second time in the club’s 113 year history.

The result also secured a small piece of history for manager Maurizio Sarri, becoming the first Premier League manager to avoid defeat in their first 12 games.

A rampant first half saw five players booked, including a scuttle between Antonio Rudiger and Bernard which saw both plays booked, though replays suggest the Everton man aimed a headbutt at the home side’s defender, had the officials seen this initially Everton would have been down a man.

The clearest chances of the game fell to Marcos Alonso who saw a volley saved by Jordan Pickford, before hitting the post late on.

Chelsea sit third in the league, four points behind Man City and two behind Liverpool. The Toffees, who also came close to victory through Icelandic playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson when he forced a smart save from Kepa Arrizbalaga on the hour mark, remain ninth.

Everton’s wait for Premier League victory at Stamford Bridge now extends to 24 matches over as many years.


Up Next:

Spurs v Chelsea – Saturday November 24th (12:30pm)

Everton v Cardiff – Saturday November 24th (10am)


Arsenal v Wolves

Arsenal v Wolverhampton Wanderers


The Gunners had a slow start to the game, which boss Unai Emery says is an area they need to improve, after they came from behind to draw at home to Wolves.

The visitors took the lead in the first half through Ivan Cavalerio‘s close range finish, before Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored a late equalizer. Arsenal join Cardiff in being the only sides in the league yet to be leading at the half time interval in the Premier League so far this season.

Before the Armenian scored Lucas Torreira and Hector Bellerin both went close to equalizing, whilst leading scorer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang hit the post. After the game was level the thrilling battle ensued, Wolves almost ran away with the game in stoppage time when 18-year-old sub Morgan Gibbs-White hit the cross bar.

The draw sees Arsenal in fifth, three points behind North London rivals Spurs, while Wolves remain 11th.


Up Next:

Bournemouth v Arsenal – Sunday November 25th (8:30am)

Wolves v Huddersfield – Sunday November 25th (11am)



City v United

Manchester City v Manchester United 


Manchester City saw victory over their local rivals in the 177th Manchester Derby.

David Silva bundled home an early goal to give the home team a narrow 1-0 advantage at the break. Shortly after the break Sergio Aguero added their second with a rasping, rushing shot past David De Gea.

United were without the injured Paul Pogba which showed with a lack of pace and imagination in the midfield. It was also evident in the lack of support for striker Marcus Rashford, who found himself in space many times but had no one to help him drive in to the box. Their only goal came from the penalty spot, Romelu Lukaku had just come off the bench when he was fouled in the box by City goalkeeper EdisonAnthony Martial calmly sent the Brazilian the wrong way and gave the visitors a brief moment of hope.

After the United goal there were moments that revived the memories of last season’s dramatics when the Red side of Manchester mounted a comeback from a two goal deficit. In true Man City style though, they never looked like they’d lose too much control, which was cemented when substitute Ilkay Gundogan beat De Gea from close range, following a 44-pass move, now that’s a team goal.

For now Manchester remains blue. They sit first in the league, 12pts ahead of United who sit 8th and two ahead of title rivals Liverpool.


Up Next:

West Ham v Man City – Saturday November 24th (10am)

Man United v Palace – Saturday November 24th (10am)





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Website Powered by

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: